název organizaceTechnical University of Liberec
ZEMĚ PŮVODU ORGANIZACECzech Republic
termín uzávěrky30/11/2018 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
OBLAST VÝZKUMUFormal sciencesNatural sciences
STÁDIUM KARIÉRYFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
Institute for Nanomaterials, Advanced Technologies and Innovation at the Technical University of Liberec
seeks candidates for the following position:
Two PhD students in "Image analysis" and "Modeling of fibrous materials"
We are looking for two motivated PhD student who want to tackle the mathematical modelling challenges of mechanical properties for fibrous materials (e.g. composites and textiles). The developed mathematical models will be based on digital representations for the fibrous materials using the x-rays micro-computed tomography (CT). The two students will collaborate together and will be part of a bigger team of experienced researchers. One PhD student will be more oriented towards the reconstruction and analysis of the 3D images, while the other will focus more on building and analysing the mechanical models for the fibrous materials.
The two students will work at the Institute for Nanomaterials Advanced Technology and Innovation (CxI), which is part of the Technical University of Liberec (TUL) located in Liberec, Czech Republic. Application for these positions is open until November 30th, 2018 or until the positions are filled. The applications will be processed directly after being received, and the work contract should start by 1.1.2019, or by agreement.
Required competence and expertise:
All applicants must have the following skills:
- Computer proficiency with proven skills in computer programming (e.g. Matlab, Python, C++, Java).
- Excellent command of English language. Although language tests are not mandatory, the priority will be given to applicants who passed standard English tests (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, GRE).
- Pro-active and motivated attitude, with the ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary / international team
- Flexible, creative, self-organized personality with the ability to work independently on multiple tasks
The applicant should hold a master or diploma degree in:
- Engineering: Materials, Mechanical, Computer… or relevant fields.
- Physics / Mathematics: Classical mechanics, Continuum mechanics, Solid mechanics, Applied mathematics, Numerical methods, Materials physics… or relevant fields.
The applicant for the position that emphasizes “modelling” should show evidence for having the following skills:
- Experience with mathematical models to analyze mechanical properties of fibrous structures (e.g. yarns, fabrics, fiber reinforced composites…etc)
- Analytical and numerical mechanical models (e.g. Finite Element Analysis)
The applicant for the position that emphasizes “image analysis” should show evidence for having the following skills:
- Experience in using and developing computer image processing tools (segmentation, registration).
- The ability to develop custom data analysis algorithms and software for volume-rendering and visualisation of 3D data.
- Experience with 3D imaging (x-ray CT will be appreciated) and the associated 3D image processing/analysis tools.
- Competitive salary according to the national standards in the Czech Republic.
Working conditions and wage classification are governed by the Conditions of Employment, Internal Salary Regulation of the Technical University of Liberec, the Labour Code and the Regulations on Competitive Selection Procedures for Filling Academic Positions of the Technical University of Liberec.
Benefits that we offer:
- Excellent job conditions in attractive and well-equipped research groups
- Strong collaboration and exchange of knowledge through long-term visits to top researcher institutes located in Europe and USA
- Comprehensive academic support including soft skill training, and individual career coaching
- Flexible working hours
- University canteen
- Accommodation in university lodging facilities
How to apply:
Please send your application via email to email@example.com . The subject line of your email will depend on the position you are applying for, but it must be either: “PhD student application – modeling” or “PhD student application – image analysis”.
In the body of your email, please list all the documents you attach, then make sure to enclose the following (four/five) documents to your email:
- CV with detailed information about your education, any previous experience/skills as well as a list of your publications (if applicable).
- As a motivation for this position, you will have about 20% of your time to work on your own ideas and projects. You will receive complete support (financial, scientific…etc) to carry out these ideas. It is necessary to fill in this template with your “dreamed” ideas and send it with your application. Please keep in mind that, successful candidates will be asked to present and discuss these ideas during the interview.
- A copy or a summary for your previous work (e.g. master/diploma thesis, journal publication…etc).
- Names and contact information of at least two academic referees who could write a letter of recommendation.
- A documentation for English test scores, or any document that you find relevant to this position (optional)
In the first round of the selection procedure, the committee will evaluate the presented documents. Subsequently, an interview will be scheduled with the "promising" candidates and the decision will be made after the interview. All applicants will be notified about the decision no later than 30 working days from the end of the selection process.
In case you have any question regarding the application, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.